Director, Marketing & Communications
***We are in the process of interviewing and are no longer taking applications.
Summary of the Opportunity
We are looking for a Director, Marketing & Communications.
Reporting to our Chief Relationship Officer, the Director, Marketing & Communications (MarComm) will provide leadership and supervision for our growing MarComm department which includes Events, Content Creation, and Artist & Industry Relations.
With our recent rebranding, we have an opportunity to grow the Music Will brand and amplify our mission impact via increased awareness and visibility, funding, and program expansion. The Director, Marketing & Communications fills an essential role at MW that includes a focus on digital marketing and brand growth. This person will be responsible for growing audiences via social media, leveraging events into brand awareness and stakeholder engagement, and connecting artists and the music industry with the mission.
This person will have experience with search engine optimization (SEO), which will be leveraged into overall brand exposure and recognition. This role requires a deep understanding of digital marketing, event planning, and communication strategies to execute support of partner activations, artist engagements, the website and mission-driven events and activities.
- Collaborate with Chief Relationship Officer, MarComm team, and various department leads to develop and implement marketing and communications strategy that elevates the Music Will brand to increase awareness, exposure, and funding opportunities
- Collaborate with Program team to develop and implement program expansion and advocacy strategy
- Establish and maintain organization MarComm systems, process, and guidelines for consistent branding and messaging throughout the company
- Direct all MarComm strategy implementation within approved budget and strategic plan guidelines while engaging team and supporting their growth & development
- Lead implementation and support sustained utilization of SEO to drive increased website traffic
- Collaborate with Technology and Program teams to develop and lead implementation of a strategy to increase Music Will’s visibility within the education and donor communities
- Drive content development/production strategy for social media, website, and other communication campaigns
- Digital Marketing: leverage Music Will assets, email marketing, social media marketing, and paid advertising to promote the brand and connect new and existing stakeholder to the mission
- Event Marketing: Leverage promotional vehicles and digital assets to lead MarComm efforts in support of the successful production of Development and Program events resulting in, but are not limited to the following outcomes: event sponsorships, ticket sales, event registration, auction participation, etc.
- Collaborate with People & Talent team to develop internal communications and to increase effectiveness of talent recruitment and staff engagement efforts
Skills, Experiences, and Qualifications
Strong candidates will bring a diverse set of skills, characteristics, and experiences – both professional and lived. At Music Will, we strive to mitigate inherent biases that influence hiring practices by focusing on a holistic view of potential candidates and understanding that no single candidate will offer every desired skill and characteristic.
The following offers an aspirational view of the ideal candidate profile; we encourage applications from candidates with a wide range of experiences and backgrounds, especially those from underrepresented groups.
Strategic Project Manager
Able to multitask, work efficiently and pay the highest-level attention to detail. Ability to handle multiple tasks and competing deadlines in a fast-paced environment; can prioritize effectively and is extremely organized, detail-oriented and efficient.
Passionate about creating meaningful, impactful experiences – in-person, virtually, visually, or written. Ability to “tell a story” through presentation, video, or document. Understands the mission of the organization and its impact on students, teachers, and their communities, and can translate this into successful, values-driven events.
Keeps teacher and student requirements at the forefront of interpersonal interactions and decision-making. Willing to go the extra mile to help our network feel heard, appreciated, and supported.
Add Value for Our Stakeholders
Gains insight into customer needs and identifies opportunities that benefit the customer and vested stakeholders. Builds and delivers solutions that meet and exceed customer expectations. Establishes and maintains effective customer and stakeholder relationships.
Ability to build strategic relationships that connect Music Will’s mission with external audiences, partners, teachers, music lovers and donors alike; Ability to work across lines of difference and build consensus both internally and externally. High level of emotional intelligence.
Comfortable in an online environment and “tech forward,” with an aptitude for working with digital systems and applications to build effective community engagement opportunities and processes. Constantly up to date and an early adopter on relevant new technologies, online platforms, software and best practices.
Required Skills and Experiences
- At least 7-10 years of experience in marketing, music industry and/or national nonprofit
- 3-5 years of managerial experience
- Capable of resolving escalated issues arising from operations and requiring coordination with other departments
- Experience developing and implementing marketing plans, creating blogs and podcasts, directing content production, art direction and managing social media strategy
- Experience managing new and ongoing website development and enhancements; incorporating SEO into tech assets
- Demonstrated ability to use digital marketing as the key driver of brand awareness
- Successful track-record of marketing events, both fundraising and programmatic
- Proven superior communication skills (written and oral); able to adapt personal style to capture the voice of Music Will and share our story
- Comfortable in fast paced, nimble, remote work environment
- Strong leader and collaborator, who can work well with colleagues and subordinates to recognize and optimize their talents, expertise and skills, and foster intra- and inter-departmental growth and enthusiasm
- Proficiency with WordPress and Social Media Channels (functionality and best practices)
- Proficiency with Google Workspace and Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Proficiency with database systems
Preferred Skills and Experiences
- Certifications and/or degrees in Marketing Digital Marketing, or related areas
- Experience working with educators, or as an educator
- Music industry and/or artist relations experience
- Experience working with Salesforce
- Music maker
Compensation and Benefits
The starting salary range for this position is $108,970 – $128,200 per year. Music Will is committed to its team and strives to offer employees a competitive compensation package that reflects the organization’s values, culture, and mission. Salary is in accordance with Music Will’s competitive compensation and career path plan; the organization’s array of benefits include medical coverage (health, dental, vision) with significant employer contributions, short and long-term disability, life insurance, matching 403(b) plan and pre-tax spending accounts (FSA, commuter). Perks include generous discretionary time off policy, flexible work arrangements and professional development.
We are in the process of interviewing and are no longer taking applications.
Location and Travel
This is a full-time position, based remotely. Occasional travel will be required, including to org-wide events such as our annual Modern Band Summit, fundraising events, and collecting material for content production. Estimated travel is 10% or less.
Working at Music Will – Our Workplace Values
- We are committed to kids and teachers and passionate about the power of music to impact their lives.
- We are one team, with one mission, and one groove, and together we make good things happen.
- We are creative, entrepreneurial, positive, and playful.
- We are inspirational.
- We are accountable.
- We are respectful.
- We support personal and professional growth.
- We work to lead the field – thoughtfully, strategically and with urgency.
Music Will is committed to recruiting and maintaining a diverse staff; individuals from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. We promote equity, diversity and inclusion in order to create a healthy and safe workspace as we work together to foster success for future generations. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parenthood, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.