**We are in the process of interviewing candidates and are no longer accepting applications.
Manager, Finance & Administration
Summary of the Opportunity
The Manager, Finance and Administration will report to the Director, Finance to carry out timely and accurate processes related to the organization’s cash receipts and disbursements, charitable registrations, and other core processes. This role requires expertise in payroll and other financial systems, interaction with outside vendors and employees, and diligence and attention to detail. The position is critical to a strong internal control environment at Music Will, through execution of tasks in accordance with policies and procedures as well as by generating ideas for improvements in processes and assistance in putting policies and procedures into effect.
- Provides support for all cash receipts and payments, including timely deposit of checks received
- Serve as primary point of contact for setting up invoices and Purchase Order Requests for payment for senior management approval in Salesforce
- Process semi-monthly payroll, including setting up new employees and processing approved compensation and deduction changes for existing employees; support staff and human resources team by fielding questions and completing other finance-related onboarding tasks related to payroll and benefits administration
- Process payments and reporting for 1099 contractors in accordance with contract documentation
- Support effective and efficient expense reconciliation by processing corporate credit card and expense report submissions and supporting staff in use of expense system (Nexonia)
- Work with the Director, Finance and Administration to ensure accurate reconciliation of balance sheet accounts, prepaid expenses, insurance and other benefits activities
- Liaise with outside providers (ADP, Zenefits, Nexonia, Sage Intacct) where necessary to investigate or resolve issues
- Collect and input information related to State Charitable Registrations, including coordination with Development where needed; serve as back up support with Affinity for researching specific information needs and resolving open issues
- Collaborate with other departments to track inventory usage and replenishment needs
- Help in the design and enforcement of strong policies and procedures, including supporting the annual Administration Policy Manual update
- Identify process inefficiencies and propose solutions to enhance accounting procedures
- Participate in cross-functional initiatives to optimize financial operations
- Support ongoing annual, quarterly, and monthly reporting activities (e.g. annual audits, budget reports)
- Other responsibilities as assigned
Skills, Experiences, and Qualifications
Strong candidates will bring a diverse set of skills, characteristics, and experiences, both professional and lived. At Music Will, we strive to mitigate inherent biases that influence hiring practices by focusing on a holistic view of potential candidates and understanding that no single candidate will offer every desired skill and characteristic.
The following offers an aspirational view of the ideal candidate profile; we encourage applications from candidates with a wide range of experiences and backgrounds, especially those from underrepresented groups.
Achieves thoroughness and accuracy when accomplishing a task while demonstrating a thorough concern for all the areas involved, no matter how big or small.
Able to identify the actions necessary to achieve task completion and positive results. Able to meet deadlines and performance goals.
Disciplined and knowledgeable of established systems and structures and complies with policy and procedure. Focuses on the journey as well as the destination. Adept at keeping things running smoothly. Advocates for developing and improving processes, policies, and procedures that are no longer efficient and effective.
Add Value for Our Stakeholders
Gains insight into customer needs and identifies opportunities that benefit the customer and vested stakeholders. Builds and delivers solutions that meet and exceed customer expectations. Establishes and maintains effective customer and stakeholder relationships.
Balances team responsibilities while being directly accountable for their individual responsibilities. Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views. Gives and welcomes feedback. Contributes voice, talents, and efforts to ensure the success of organizational objectives for self and team.
Required Skills and Experiences
- At least 4-7 years of experience working in financial administration, bookkeeping / accounting
- At least 2 years working specifically in a non-profit finance administration
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and practices, especially as they pertain to nonprofit management
- Ability to organize, expedite, and manage multiple projects simultaneously, working within and across diverse groups and teams
- Ability to communication effectively (written and oral) and to build and maintain relationships
- Diplomacy and tact in dealing with employees and outside service providers
- Expertise in payroll and other financial systems (Sage-Intacct, Nexonia), interaction with outside vendors and employees, and diligence and attention to detail
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (especially, Excel) and Google Suite
Preferred Skills and Experiences
- Degrees or certifications in accounting, finance, or related fields
- Experience, certifications or degrees in project management
- Experience with CRM databases, specifically Salesforce
- Experience working in performing arts and/or education
- Passion for music, music education, and lived experience as a music maker is a plus
Compensation and Benefits
The starting salary range for this position is $73,950 – $78,300 per year. Music Will is committed to its team and strives to offer employees a competitive compensation package that reflects the organization’s values, culture, and mission. Salary is in accordance with Music Will’s competitive compensation and career path plan, and the organization’s array of benefits include medical coverage (health, dental, vision) with significant employer contributions, short and long-term disability, life insurance, matching 403(b) plan and pre-tax spending accounts (FSA, commuter). Perks include generous discretionary time off policy, flexible work arrangements, and professional development.
The application process is closed.
Location and Travel
This is a full-time position, based remotely. Occasional travel will be required, including select events such as our Modern Band Summit each summer.
This position may require some work outside of the normal workday to respond to urgent fiscal and administrative needs.
Working at Music Will – Our Workplace Values
- We are committed to kids and teachers and passionate about the power of music to impact their lives.
- We are one team, with one mission, and one groove, and together we make good things happen.
- We are creative, entrepreneurial, positive, and playful.
- We are inspirational.
- We are accountable.
- We are respectful.
- We support personal and professional growth.
- We work to lead the field – thoughtfully, strategically and with urgency.
Music Will is committed to recruiting and maintaining a diverse staff; individuals from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. We promote equity, diversity and inclusion in order to create a healthy and safe workspace as we work together to foster success for future generations. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parenthood, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.